Re: Can you help with gcc build GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES problem?

Jonathan Beit-Aharon wrote:
Hi,
I am trying to build gcc 3.4.2 on Linux, and am running into *exactly* the same problem (also with library libstdc++v3).
Since Tupshin Harper's note is dated October 27, 2004 I'm hoping someone found a solution to share.

Subject: help building x86_64->i686 cross-compiler

   I'm running a debian amd64 (pure, not biarch/multiarch), and I'm
   trying to build gcc that is able to compile regular x86 binaries (as
   in):
   checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

   but it fails with the following:
   checking for main in -lm... configure: error: Link tests are not
   allowed after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES.

Which kind of wireframe model you would require being made for this?

Ok, you must understand that an x86_64 system is 'bi-arch', the GCC
on it should be capable to produce both 64-bit and 32-bit executables.
If the existing GCC cannot do this, neither the new GCC can do that !

So before starting to build the bi-arch GCC (as the default), you should
make sure that both 64-bit and 32-bit executables can be produced on
your system with the existing GCC. That you have the '*/lib64' and the
'*/lib' directories filled with the proper libraries is one of the
prerequisites.

If you want your new GCC to be a "64-bit-only" special GCC, just use
the '--disable-multilib' option during the GCC compile, then no 32-bit
'libiberty' and 'libstdc++-v3' will be tried to be made...