Re: Cross-compilation (many to many)...

Chase <xanadu@juun.com> writes:

> what i'm looking for are **generalized** instructions for building a
> cross-compiler on **any** platform (on which gcc can run) that
> targets **any** platform (targetable by gcc).

As far as I know, no such instructions exist.  There are many target
dependent details that one would have to deal with.  Very few people
actually need to target many different platforms.  That said, I
encourage you to gather the information and write those instructions
yourself.

> i know that mingw is part of the solution (for targeting windows),
> but i'm still unlear (even after reading through the mingw faq and
> installation documentation) on the exact purpose of mingw.  why is
> this needed at all?  is this unique to targeting windows, or will i
> need some sort of equivelant thing for targeting BeOS or Mac OS X or
> Linux from other platforms?

mingw is unique to Windows.  Mac OS X is Unix, and requires no unusual
handling.  I don't know enough about BeOS.

Ian