"gcc -pipe" and ld

L.S.

When I build a shared object (or executable) by doing:

gcc -pipe -o myLib.so myLib.c -lm

How does the linker get the object code for myLib?
a. from a temporary file, saved by the compiler?
b. on stdin from a pipe that connects to the compilers stdout?
c. ???

The reason I ask is that I expected case b. However, when reading the documentation of ld, there is no mention whatsoever of using stdin.
So I am unsure.

Can anybody cure my uncertainty?

Thanks in advance,

Erik Leunissen