downgrading Gcc

We are having some problems compiling code for a customized version of OpenDx. The creator is recommending I use an older compiler (Gcc 3.4) rather than 4.0.0 that is currently installed on my system. Installation of this software works ok on his system (that uses Gcc 3.4). Is there a relatively easy process to downgrading to 3.4, i.e. downloading a set of *.rpm files? After searching online it appears as though you can run into trouble with libraries etc.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Leon Collis