Re: Linking on AIX

Ok thank you. I have just removed the Libtool references during my builds on the AIX platform. But I'm opting to keep Libtool in my package for now.

Certainly, this quirk with Libtool on AIX is not particularly pleasant.

Thanks,
John Ling

David Edelsohn wrote:
John Ling writes:

John> Ok having attempted to build both static and shared was the problem. I John> opted to build only static by configuring with --disable-shared and so I John> believe it build the static version of the library. Now when I do an John> 'ar tv' on my static library I get nothing returned. Is this normal?

John> Unfortunately, when I try to compile using this library I get the following:

John> g++ -g -O2 -o bin/ac2gi atlas/cpp/src/apps/ac2gi.o John> lib/.libs/libseqget.a /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a John> /flash/home/jling/install/lib/libubic.a -lz
John> collect2: /flash/home/jling/install/lib/libubic.a: not a COFF file
John> make: *** [bin/ac2gi] Error 1

John> What does it take to get that library into COFF format?

"not a COFF file" in this instance probably means that it's
empty. When you built the library, where did it actually load the object
files?

It is better to avoid libtool for exactly these types of problems.

David