Re: Problem compiling gcc 4.0.1 on AIX 5.0.0.8

> out of memory allocating 80016 bytes after a total of 4161652492 bytes

> As far as I can tell I have unlimited stack space and such.  I am
> running this build as root.

	This specific case is mentioned in the "Host/Target specific
installation notes for GCC" section on AIX:

out of memory bootstrap failures may indicate a problem with process
resource limits (ulimit). Hard limits are configured in the
/etc/security/limits system configuration file.

	On AIX, root has resource limits like every other user.  Make sure
that you are viewing the hard limits, not the soft limits.  I suspect that
the hard limits are capped.  Stack, data, and memory need to have large
limits to bootstrap GCC.  Also, building as root probably is not a good
idea.

	By the way, the 4161652492 does not represent the total amount of
memory currently allocated, some of the memory has been returned during
the process execution.

	I also would recommend not changing the Make options.

David