newbie gfortran question

Hi,

I recently downloaded the gfortran compiler for my new
ibook with OSX 10.3.5

I tried compiling a simple fortran program named hello.f90

The command I issued was:

gfortran -o a.out hello.f90

The error I get is:

Claws-Computer:~/test/practice Claw$ gfortran -o a.out
hello.f90
/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt1.o
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

When I compile using the -c flag to produce an object file,
it works.  Then when I try to make the executable the same
error happens.

Im pretty new at fortran and Mac, and could really use a
suggestion.

Thanks,

Jeff