How to install gcc on windows.

I need help installing gcc 4.0.0 on windows. I have downloaded and
succesfully unzipped the tar file. I posted a message on the gcc-help
newsgroup and I got a very vague response from someone. I am running windows
xp service pack 2, and I wanted to learn to program in my spar time. I was
told that the gnu compiler was the best and not only that free. However, I
just can't figure out how to install it. Can someone send me step by step
instructions on how to install gcc 4.0.0 on windows. It is safe to assume
that I know absolutely no UNIX or LINUX commands and don't know how to use
them. I don't mean to be a pain but, the more detailed the instructions the
better.

Thank in advance,

Gregory