Re: Issues with memcpy

At least in past days, g++ supported a "packed" keyword. If you really, really want the struct to occupy exactly 9 bytes, this could be a way to accomplish that.

I generally wouldn't worry about that for performance reasons, though, as that wouldn't reduce the nubmer of *words* of data that get copied.

The only good reasons I can think of for using the "packed" structure are:
- You're using the struct to overlay a buffer that's used in network
  communications, so you want exactl control over which bytes of the buffer
  correspond to particular members of the struct, or

- You're going to have a huge number of instances of this struct in memory, and
  you really need that 25% savings in memory use.  (Although if you allocate
  heap memory for individually for each instance of the struct, you still might
  not get any savings in heap use.  IIRC, the heap is likely to allocate a
  bigger chunk of memory than just 9 bytes, when you ask for a 9-byte
  allocation.)

Brian Budge wrote:
You could reorganize your struct so that the char is on the end.  Then
you could just do the memcpy with 9 bytes.  However, I have a feeling
that doing the full 12 byte copy may be faster... like others have
said, it depends on your achitecture.

Brian