Re: Stack_Protection for GCC-4.0.0

On 22 Apr 2005, Syed Shabir Zakiullah uttered the following:
> I am happy that GCC-4.0.0 is out officially. I was wondering of enabling stack
> protection for it. Previously i had a source called
> gcc-protector-3.4-2.tar.gz to do that. But currently the protector.dif inside
> this tarball is failing with gcc-4.0.0,

Yeah, there's no way its RTL-mangling approach will work without some
porting effort; the changes to GCC's internals between 3.4.x and 4.0.x
are substantial.

> Can anyone help me getting stack proctector enabled, or gcc-protector source
> available for gcc-4.0 ?

You'll probably have to ask the patch's author (Hiroaki Etoh). As I
understand it, there's not much chance of the patch getting in at
present: it does nonportable things with RTL so doesn't work on many
architectures, it works at the wrong level (it should probably work at
the tree level, instead), and Hiroaki has in the past posted the whole
patch as a vast lump rather than posting it in digestible pieces, and
nobody'd want to review it in that form.

(However, the code rearrangements it carries out are worthwhile, and it
*is* useful in some places: I use it on i386. I just think it needs a
rewrite.)

--
This is like system("/usr/funky/bin/perl -e 'exec sleep 1'");
   --- Peter da Silva