Modifying gcc.

I am trying to write a modification to gcc to support native coroutines; this is mostly for my own amusement, but if it works out well perhaps it will be useful to other people as well.

I have a couple of questions maybe people here can help me with:

- Is there a switch to dump the IR from the compiler between passes / enable debug out? I remember I found one a long time ago, but I've forgotten where.

- The only guide to gcc internals I have found is

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/

Are there other documents I should be looking at? I am hoping for something that shows each pass of the compiler, explains which IR is in use at that time, etc.

That guide brings up a few questions for me though:

- It mentions GENERIC, GIMPLE, C/C++ Trees, and RTL as various IRs of the gcc compiler. I cannot find anything in the source that references GIMPLE or GENERIC; I just did "find . -name '*.[ch]' | xargs grep -i GIMPLE" and nothing came up. Am I missing something?

Let me know if this is not the right list for these kind of questions, 'cause I'm sure I'll have a bunch more. :)

Niko