memory usage on 64bit

Hi,

I plan to buy some barebones as compilation cluster for usage with gcc and am wondering if gcc needs noticeable more memory on 64bit CPUs because of larger pointer and default integer size?

I'm short on memory anyway with the planned 512 MB a node so that'd be a reason to use 32 bit arch.

it is no problem to crossbuild 32bit binaries on 64bit arch with gcc, is it?

Thanks,

--
Stefan Strasser