GNU tools and MPC555 Quick Start

Hello,

I'm trying to get GNU tools to compile and build the Motorola MPC555 Quick
Start EABI. I'm getting many errors that I can't understand. One error is:

Error: Unsupported relocation against R1

This is from assembly code imbedded in the C code.

I have shelved the "unsupported relocation against R1", can't figure out
what is causing that.

I'm working on what should be a simpler problem. In 5xx_board_init.c it
includes arch.h (which is 3000 lines long). When compiling I get the error:
"undefined symbol "ARCH_MSR_ME" in operation". This error is at line 1193 in
the 5xx_board_init.s file (which I am able to view thanks to Gunter's tip).

This is what is in the arch.h file:

#define ARCH_MSR_ME     0x00001000

This is what is generated in the xx.s file:

	.string	"ARCH_MSR_ME 0x00001000"
	.byte	0x1

Gcc is taking that define and turning it into a string constant (NULL
terminated) in memory. So the symbol is not defined and the assembler can't
figure out what to do with this:

	ori		r5, r5, (ARCH_MSR_ME | ARCH_MSR_RI)
	.loc 16 106 0
	mtmsr		r5
	.loc 16 110 0

It appears I have a very fundamental problem. Either I have the wrong
toolset of I have the toolset configured wrong? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave