Re: gcc 2.96 -wchar-stdc++ option in 3.2.3?

Mai-San_Chan@peoplesoft.com writes:

> What is the -wchar-stdc++ option in gcc 2.96?  I cannot find documentation
> for this option in the online gcc manuals.  It is unrecognized by gcc
> 3.2.3.  What should be used in its place in 3.2.3?

There was never an official gcc 2.96 release.  The last official
release before 3.0 was 2.95.  There were various interim releases made
by various different people which got the name 2.96.

For example, I happen to have a system running Red Hat Linux 7.3 has a
gcc which claims to be 2.96.  However, that gcc doesn't appear support
the -wchar-stdc++ option either.

Poking around on the web, it looks like -wchar-stdc++ was a way to get
wide character support in libstdc++.  The libstdc++ code in 3.2.3 is
completely rewritten.  As far as I know it supports wide characters
(via std::wstring, etc.) by default, at least on systems which provide
the underlying libc support (e.g., wchar.h, wcslen(), etc.).  It is
possible that you no longer need the -wchar-stdc++ option at all.  If
you think that you do need it, can you explain what you need it for?

Ian