compiling kernels with newer GCC versions for older systems

Hi,

I wish to compile a kernel source tree with a patch that requires the
patched kernel to be compiled with GCC 3.3.2. However, I am
running Debian Woody 3.0 on the machine I am compiling the kernels for,
which ships with GCC 2.95, and all the systems I am
compiling the patched kernel for are also Woody 3.0.

My questions are: is it safe to compile a kernel for an older system using
a later version of GCC, stability-wise? If so, would it be best to
backport GCC 3.3.2 for Woody, or should I find a version of Debian (or any distro)
that ships with 3.3.2, and compile the kernel on that?

Thanks for any help.

Best regards,

Campbell