Re: Fwd: help for g++, please

Anton Greil wrote:

---------- Weitergeleitete Nachricht ----------

Subject: help for g++, please
Date: Donnerstag, 25. November 2004 17:22
From: Anton Greil <greil@muc.de>
To: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org

Could you give me please some advices how to update my *C and *h files
of my C++ programs?

I coded and run these programs on base of the GNU g++ compiler
of SuSE Linux 8.0 which I installed just 3 years ago.
Now I installed SuSE Linux 9.1 where the command "g++ -v" gives:
  ".... gcc version 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)".

I guess the older compiler was a 2.95 era one.

Invoking the new g++ on my old programs (which worked well under the old
g++ version) creates many and many error messages in connection
with header files.

you probably are being bitten by the '::std' namespace. in 2.95 it was an alias for the global namespace, but in 3.3 it is a proper namespace and the std library resides there. You'll need to add std:: to the appropriate types, functions and objects. (or learn about using directives). However, there are several other changes that might be affecting your code, but we can't help without examples.

Is there an information which concerns the changings in header files
(and perhaps some other new conventions) since 2001 which I should
apply that I can run my programs again?
You should probably read the release notes for gcc's version 3.0 onwards.

What about the actual C++ ISO standard and its realization by g++ ?
3.3 is more conformant than previous versions.

What about please further developments in C++ ? Is there a web-site for
this question?
Where can I download please a corresponding C++ manual ?
The C++ standard is available electronically from ANSI.  C++ books
are available at a good bookstore -- I'm sure google can help you
find recommended lists.

nathan