Windows COM code snippet needed

Hello everybody, probably it's not the right mailinglist I am writing to,
but I am in progress of writing a list how OpenOffice can be accessed via
(D)COM with different programming languages.
The code snippet I am asking for is how can one make use of COM in C.
I would appreciate any code (even if it's only 3 or 4 lines) that just give
me  a starting point.
Probably the best would be if someone could give me a working example of how
to open up a new document in MS Word or MS Excel via COM with programming
language C.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
Christian Junker