Help on G77 under opteron AMD 64bit

Hello,

we are currently tracing a problem on some old Fortran code using G77 on
an AMD 64 bit Opteron machine. We understood that local variables are
put in the stack area (i.e. with addresses > 2**32), which causes our
deprecated and ugly code to fail.

Is there any option to force local variables to be in the same address
area as those in COMMON? We have tried with -fno-automatic, but it
doesn't seem to solve the problem.

We are using gcc 3.3.1 under Suse linux.

Thank you very much                     Riccardo Fantechi - Giuseppe
Terreni

        INFN Pisa