This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
- From: llewelly at xmission dot com
- To: John Parkes <jp012c6013 at blueyonder dot co dot uk>
- Cc: gcc-help at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: 05 Jun 2004 07:31:35 -0600
- Subject: Re: -fstrict-aliasing
- References: <email@example.com>
John Parkes <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> Is GCC permitted to miscompile, with -fstrict-aliasing, source
> which clearly flouts the assumptions of that option ?
'miscompile' is not the right word. According to the standard, the
behaviour of your example has undefined behavior. So the code the
gcc produces is not a 'miscompilation' no matter what it does.