interesting questions without answers about libraries

I searched for this question in the mailing lists but found no answers, so I'm sending this e-mail.

Q1) how can I build only the C/C++ libraries that comes with the compiler source and not the whole compiler (support libraries, libgcc etc)? Optionally, how can i build them to be static and not shared?

Q2) Suppose I install a new version of gcc. It´s installed in the default prefix (/usr/local) and I want to use that version instead of the default older version in prefix /usr. I set an environment var like 'export GCC=/usr/local/bin/gcc' and use that in my makefiles. The question is, will the C/C++ shared libraries used be the ones that came w/ this new compiler, which are located in /usr/local/lib or the system default ones in /usr/lib? What if I use -L/usr/local/lib, will that override the use of the default libraries?

THANKS A LOT