Help for building cross gcc for m68k

I've been trying to build a cross compiler for the 68k family running under cygwin. I first downloaded cygwin with the native gcc for the pc. I then downloaded gcc, gunzipped it, untarred it, and built it with the native gcc that came with cygwin. However, it didn't seem to build a cross version of the assembler and loader for the 68k. When I try to do a cross compile with the -S option suppressing assembly, I can successfully generate a .s file indicating that the compiler is working. However, without the -S option, the cross gcc can't seem to find the cross assembler and seems to be grabbing the native gcc assembler, which of course doesn't understand the 68k assembly language.

I've searched the entire cygwin directory structure for another *as.exe, but none can be found, so I'm convinced that the build process is not producing a cross assembler. I think the same is true for the loader, but I haven't got that far yet.

I suspect that I may not be configuring properly before the build, but not sure what to look at. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dave