.bss segment alignment

Help,

I am having a problem with an application that calls munmap to unmap memory assigned to a variable in the .bss segment. unmap fails with a status of Invalid argument. I believe the reason for the failure is that the variable is not aligned on a page boundary.

An objdump of the binar file shows the following information for the variable:

0805a9e0 g O .bss   00001000 vaicom_

The variable in question is created by g77 in a block data program. It is then linked together with gcc modules.

Is there a way to tell the g77/gcc compiler or linker that this variable must start on a page boundary within the .bss segment? I have tried everthing I can think of. This works on Tru64UNIX with the standard f77/cc compiler but does not work on Red Hat 9.0 for i386.

Sincerely yours,

Mike Wehrer