From: gcc-help-owner@gcc.gnu.org [mailto:gcc-help-owner@gcc.gnu.org] On
Behalf Of Jacob Smith
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 12:14 PM
To: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: fstream

How would I go about finding out the largest file stream I can open
(read/write) on my system (P4)? I've ascertained that the
std::fstream::pos_type has a sizeof() 8, but anytime I access somewhere
beyond the 2**31-bit mark, the state of the stream becomes
good()==false. If the maximum size is upper-bound by the 2**31-bit mark
(or whatever), is there anything in the standard libraries to let me
open larger files (i.e. a memory-map or sumsuch)?

thanks,

-j.