Linux Kernel Compile issue

Hi,
    I have a basic question regarding the working of gcc. When I run "nm"
on an executable compiled on Linux all the addresses will be in the
range 0 to 0xbfffffff. If I do the same on a Linux kernel image the
addresses are in the  range 0xC0000000 - 0xFFFFFFFF. This is because
of the way the virtual addresses are organized in Linux.
         But since the image is built by gcc, how is this information on
the range of addresses to be used are conveyed to the
compiler/linker ? Is it configurable from command line or does it
require a change of compiler code ?
I would really appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks,
Rithin.