Re: g77, cygwin, Win XP Pro, CALL System(Command, Status)

Eljay Love-Jensen wrote:

Hi Lars,

>How can I test if the routine CALL System works correct?

I do not know. I am not familiar with FORTRAN or the vagaries of its CALL System. I suspect that CALL System is very platform dependent.

>Is it possible that the routine does not send the 'command' to the active win-XP-shell?

I would expect that the CALL System command should launch a brand new shell, not interact with the active win-XP-shell.

But I'm beyond my knowledge, so it's utter speculative guesswork.

The following works on Linux (actually, Debian test):

$ cat steinke.f
      CALL SYSTEM('clear')
      END
$ g77 steinke.f
$ ./a.out
<clears screen>

So it basically works. Now why it doesn't work on Windows is beyond me, but I have to work daily with people who use Windows and most of what is happening to them is incomprensible (both by them and by me).

GNU Fortran 95: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/ (under construction)