RE: Building gcc 3.3.2 on HPUX11.11 - make bootstrap (stage3) fails: Bootstrap c

Philippe Scelers wrote:

I haven't built on HPUX for ages, and never HPUX 11, but:

>    Bootstrap comparison failure!

This is a known problem when using the system assembler. It embeds a
timestamp in all object files; the bootstrap compare is a simple
file-compare and so it'll differ even for the same assembly file compiled
two different times.

In any case, the target-specific install notes:

   http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#hppa*-hp-hpux*

say you must use GNU as 2.11 or better.

>     *** This configuration is not supported in the following
>         subdirectories:
>          ld
>         (Any other directories should still work fine.)

That's fine - it's the assembler that's important. The system linker's
perfectly good, and you can mix GNU assembler with the system linker.

On other platforms, e.g. Solaris, the GNU linker handles C++ common sections
better than the system linker so it may better to use the GNU linker if you
can if you're compiling C++ with GCC. As you say, GNU ld didn't build on
HPUX last time I tried but the GCC target-specific notes hint that it is
possible. Perhaps there's something in the binutils docs?

Good luck,
Rup.