GCC3.X on Windows XP

All,
I need to build GCC3.x on my PC which runs Windows XP home edition.
My issue is I don't want to go the expense of buying Microsoft
Visual C++ in order to have a compiler on my PC to be able to build GCC.
Does anyone know of an inexpensive or free compiler I can down load or
obtain for my PC to get GCC3.x built ?
Thanks,
Phil