Re: Superblock Instruction Scheduling in GCC 3.4

Ok, I have just verified that gcc DOES accept the -fsched2-use-tracer and
invoke the ebb scheduler as expected. However, it does not set the
flag_branch_probabilities automatically. It only sets it when I
explicitly use the -fbranch-probabilities command-line switch. Here are
the two cases that I have tried:

g++ -O3 -fsched2-use-traces
Generates ~151K superblocks on my benchmark suite with lots of large
superblocks that include 10 basic blocks or more

g++ -O3 -fsched2-use-traces -fbranch-probabilities
Generates only ~123K superblocks on my benchmark suite with the vast
majority of superblocks consisting of less than 10 basic blocks

So, the question is: Why did the compiler generate more superblocks
when branch probabilities were not computed? Do the superblocks generated
in that case make any sense?
And the bottom line question for me is: which setting should I use in my
research on superblocks?

Thanks

-Ghassan