can't compile because of script errors

Hi,

I'm sorry if you find this a silly question. I tried to do some research, but
I could find nothing. I'm trying to compile a gcc > 3 version. I downloaded
the latest version, 3.3.2. I created a build_gcc directory in which I
extracted gcc-3.3.2. While in the build_gcc directory, I typed
> gcc-3.3.2/configure

Then the trouble started, here's the beginning of the output (starting on line
1):

-----------
Configuring for a i686-pc-linux-gnu host.
gcc-3.3.2/configure: [: /home/pierric/src/build_gcc/gcc-3.3.2: binary operator
xpected
Created "Makefile" in /home/pierric/src/build_gcc using "mt-frag"
gcc-3.3.2/configure: test: /home/pierric/src/build_gcc/gcc-3.3.2: binary
operato
r expected
Configuring libiberty...
-----------

The rest looked normal and the Makefiles were created. Well, there is actually
one line at the end that looks bad:

-----------
checking byte ordering... (cached) little-endian
grep: ../gcc-3.3.2/fastjar/version.c: No such file or directory
updating cache ../config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating install-defs.sh
creating config.h
------------

So I typed:
> make bootstrap
(note that "make" without bootstrap doesn't seem to avoid the problem)
And then, more trouble. After only 2 or 3 seconds, the following output
appears:

------------
for f in atexit calloc memchr memcmp memcpy memmove memset rename strchr
strerror strncmp strrchr strstr strtol strtoul tmpnam vfprintf vprintf vfork
waitpid bcmp bcopy bzero; do \
  for g in mkstemps.o ; do \
    case "$g" in \
      *$f*) echo $g >> needed-list ;; \
    esac; \
  done; \
done
echo regex.o cplus-dem.o cp-demangle.o md5.o alloca.o argv.o choose-temp.o
concat.o dyn-string.o fdmatch.o fibheap.o floatformat.o fnmatch.o getopt.o
getopt1.o getpwd.o getruntime.o hashtab.o hex.o lbasename.o
make-relative-prefix.o make-temp-file.o objalloc.o obstack.o partition.o
physmem.o pexecute.o safe-ctype.o sort.o spaces.o splay-tree.o strerror.o
strsignal.o ternary.o xatexit.o xexit.o xmalloc.o xmemdup.o xstrdup.o
xstrerror.o > required-list
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
/bin/sh: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
make[1]: *** [all-subdir] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/pierric/src/build_gcc/libiberty'
make: *** [all-libiberty] Error 2
------------

Just to check, I removed the libiberty directory, and then the same thing
happens with zlib (I think it's zlib, the point is, it happens).

I tried to download version 3.2.3, and I got exactly the same symptoms. I'm
using an old slackware 8.0 with a glibc 2.2.3 and the latest coreutils (5.0, I
upgraded them because of the "test" error during the configure, but nothing
changed). Bash version is 2.05.0(1), and installed gcc is 2.95.3, but I don't
think that matters, given the error messages. Also not of interest, but who
knows, maybe you'll be able to explain it to me: I have a /usr/include/g++-3
as well as a /usr/include/g++-v3, but my g++ is 2.95.3... and I can't compile
programs with #include <string> in them, because String is then undeclared. It
used to work, I don't know what broke it.

Please do not hesitate to ask for more information. I hope you will be able to
help me out, I need g++-3 for a project at the university, and actually I
should already be compiling like a fool :-o

Thanks in advance,
Pierric Descamps.