Using foo in statically linked ...

My quest to port our system from gcc 2.96 to gcc 3.2.3 continues.
I'm now trying to resolve link errors. I'm getting a bunch of
messages that take the form:

   Using 'foo' in statically linked applications requires
   at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used
   for linking.

   Where foo is one of many library calls (e.g. getpwnam,
   getservbyname, etc.)

Ok ... so what's the deal here? If I'm linking statically,
why does it need the glibc shared libs? Am I prohibited
from linking certain libs statically?

For that matter, what exactly is the significance of this
message? Is it just a helpful hint? Or a warning? Or an
error? What's it take to make this go away?

--
Gary Cote
gcote@transat-tech.com