Re: How handle static libraries?

From: man ar;

       The GNU ar program creates, modifies,  and  extracts  from
       archives.   An  archive is a single file holding a collec­
       tion of other files in a structure that makes it  possible
       to  retrieve the original individual files (called members
       of the archive).

       ar is considered a binary utility because archives of this
       sort  are  most  often  used as libraries holding commonly
       needed subroutines.

Haven't used it myself, but there should be examples of its use in the
makefiles for gcc, etc. (I've seen "ar" commands whiz by, and they
seemed to be doing roughly what you intend, as far as a fleeting glimpse
can tell.)

At least, it's worth a look.

Erik