Spanish single characters recognized as multi-character

Hello,

I have a problem that I can reproduce with the following simple example:

--------
#include <stdio.h>
int main(void) {
   printf("%d - %c\n", 'ñ', 'ñ');
}
--------

if I compile that program I get the following message warning from GCC:

warning: multi-character character constant

for each time I use 'X' where X is either: á,é,í,ó,ú,ü or ñ, which are spanish characters non-ascii. So it seems that gcc does not recognize these characters as "single characters", but if so why? how could I correct the program the program above?

I am using linux redhat 9.

Any help would be very appreciated,

---sram
Salvador Ramírez Flandes