Re: gcc multiple instances conflict

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 07:39:01PM -0700, Vinod Joseph wrote:
> Hi

Hi.

> I have installed gcc 2.95.3 on a redhat 9 which
> already had gcc 3.2.2.

I don't know what your reasons are, but be aware that you can't link a
C++ program compiled with gcc 2.95 to libraries compiled with 3.x.

> i want my application to be built and use make with
> gcc 2.95.3 ONLY
>
> Please can u guide me how to solve this problem.
>
> I have tried alias in bashrc but GNU make and g++
> still used gcc 3.2.2

Aliases are not expanded when the shell is not interactive. So, that
won't work.

If you installed gcc 2.95 into another location than gcc 3.2.2
(e.g. /usr/local/bin) you just need to add this directory before
the directory where gcc 3.x is installed in the PATH variable:

$ export PATH="/usr/local/bin:$PATH"

Alternatively, you can specify which compiler make calls when setting
the CC and CXX variables:

$ make CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc CXX=/usr/local/bin/g++

Of course, that assumes that you used these variables in your Makefile
rules (which virtually every Makefile does).

g++ (3.2.2) always uses gcc 3.2.2. You can't change the behaviour of
that command you just need to call the g++ which came with gcc 2.95.

Read 'man bash' for more information.

HTH

--
Claudio Bley                                 ASCII ribbon campaign (")
Debian GNU/Linux user                         - against HTML email  X