From: Andrea 'fwyzard' Bocci [mailto:fwyzard-gcc@libero.it]
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 8:18 AM
To: Anderson, James H [IT]; gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: need help with installation

At 08:09 27/08/2003 -0400, Anderson, James H [IT] wrote:
>I don't seem to have a working C compiler so am unable to do the
initial
>config. I seem to recall that at one time there was a bootstrap option
>that made it possible to build gcc w/o having a compiler on one's
system,
>but I haven't managed to find it for gcc 3.3.1 (I considered pulling
down
>a binary version for Solaris but I don't have admin privileges and need
>install in a user directory).
>
>Thanks in advance for any help!
>
>jim

No, you can't build GCC from sources if you don't have a working C
compiler
installed.
But you can find prebuilt binaries for most OSes - see
<http://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html>. If you're using Linux, all
the
distributions I'm aware of ship a working GCC with them, usually from
the
3.2 release, so you should find it on you CDs or downloadable from the
distributor's site.

Happy compileg,
.fwyzard.