GCC Target specification syntax

Well! That's pretty extreme! Rejecting MIME content type of Text/html! A
little paranoid are we?

At any rate - here is a straight text version of my question (with a
spelling correction to boot!).

Folks,

At several points in my scan of the GCC installation documentation there are
references to target specs such as "i386-redhat-linux" or "alpha*-*-*".
Looking at the configure script for several packages there seems to be a
standard syntax for this string. Is this syntax documented anywhere?

Thanks
Dave Braun

BTW - when I tried including the bounce letter so you could see what was
happening to cause the initial bounce your bounced it again claiming I was a
spammer - I'm not but now I can't tell you why! If you'd like to see the
second bounce I can zip it up and send it too you.