Why need to specify LL for all const?

Hi,
Pardon me for this silly question, one of the mails here got me to ask
this.

Why do we need to specify LL (or for that matter any suffix) for a
constant number which the compiler knows wont fit in, say L. It may be
useful if we have a constant that can fit in some lower size but we want
it to be a much bigger field .f.e 1LL or something like that. Am I missing
anything?

Thanks,
Muthu