Problems with new architecture

Hi, I'm busy setting up a new architecture for GCC, the m6809, running on
the TRS-80 Color Computer series.  It'll be a cross-compiler, and I'm
basing it on gcc 3.1.1.  However, despite it working on most files, it
seems to choke at the end of long functions with 'unrecognizable insn'
errors.  One of these files works when I remove -O2 compilation, but
despite my best efforts, the other will not compile.

I know the first file, available at my site
http://skwirl.ca/coco/gcc.html in libc-coco, named doprnt.c, worked for
someone else running these config files under 2.95.3.  I had to make
modifications to have it compile under 3.1.1, but I'm not sure I've fixed
everything up properly.  The ChangeLogs are hard to go through, and it's
almost impossible to find something unless you know specifically what it
is you're looking for.  I managed to fix a couple of problems this way.

So, here's the unrecoverable error, it's from a file that comes from
uip-0.6.0, a small TCP/IP stack:

[james at loki:coco] % make uip.o
gcc09 -I../uip -I../apps/httpd -I. -fno-inline -c -o  uip.o
../uip/uip.c
../uip/uip.c: In function `uip_process':
../uip/uip.c:1023: unrecognizable insn:
(insn 1898 1597 1896 (set (reg:QI 0 d)
        (subreg:QI (mem:HI (plus:HI (reg/f:HI 3 u)
                    (const_int -13 [0xfffffff3])) [0 S2 A8]) 1)) -1 (nil)
    (nil))

Now, I'm not sure what's wrong here... u is a stack register, not used by
gcc, as far as I know, for passing parameters.  Perhaps it's used for
local storage, I'm not sure.  Is it possible that this is as a result of
having unsupported local storage in the function?

Thanks for any help you can provide,
James