From: Rupert Wood [mailto:me@rupey.net]
Sent: 04 February 2003 18:12
To: 'Roger.Gough'
Cc: 'Gcc Help (E-mail)'
Subject: RE: Prefix command with gcc-2.95

Roger Gough wrote:

> I am having some problems using the prefix command with gcc version
> 2.95. With the command:
>
>	--prefix=dirname.
>
> This command should specify the toplevel installation directory.
> This does not seem to work for me.

It's always worked here. Can I verify you're adding this to the
configure line for a source-code distribution of GCC, i.e. you've done
something like

      gzip -cd gcc-2.95.3.tar.gz |tar xvf -
      mkdir build
      cd build
      ../gcc-2.95.3/configure --prefix=/my/install/path

followed by 'make bootstrap', 'make install', etc.? It's not a parameter
for the gcc executable, nor is it a standalone command.

Rup.