Compilation Segfaults On Athlon-XP

Hi,

I'm having issues with an Athlon PC that I can't explain and have only found anecdotal evidence about on the web.

My computer is an Athlon 1800xp with 512MB of DDR333 (I've tried all kinds of ram speeds and settings, though) on a Via KT333 motherboard (MSI-k7-ultra-aru). My SuSE 8.0 with gcc-2.95.3 can compile anything without problems, but as soon as I try any flavor of gcc-3.2 (and gcc-3.1 IIRC) I get segfaults that appear completely random.

My test case is usually compiling Perl 5.8.0, but most recently I have been trying to perform an install of Gentoo 1.4rc2. It fails to compile groff when doing an emerge on it and depending upon how I set march and mcpu it segfaults at different spots in the build. No combination of settings clears the problem up, though. One thing that appears to be repeatable is that with a given set of optimizations it always segfaults in the same spot.

My first indication is that this is a ram or motherboard problem. The fact that SuSE and gcc-2.95.3 works fine seems to disprove that. Believe me - I have tried every ram setting in the world to see if it helps (I can make it worse - but not better). If you go to google and look up "Athlon gcc 3.2 segfault" you will see all kinds of people that appear to be suffering from the same symptoms. Sadly the replies always seem to be "try different optimization settings" and no mention of a real fix.

Anyway - I'm desperate. SuSE 8.0 is nice, but I'd like to upgrade and that means gcc-3.2 no matter what distro I go to. Does anybody have ideas or a real fix for the issue?

Thanks.