Exception Handling

Hello,
 Is it safe to throw an exception as such:
 throw new MyException ( "method","class","message);

 and then catch it as:
 try {
 }
 catch ( MyException *e ) {
   //-- do something
   delete e;
 }
 I am just looking for some guidelines on exceptions. In doing google searches
for info, I came across an email stating that the implementation of exceptions
varies by compiler in that some runtime systems do a binary copy of the
exception and then pass it to the catch etc.

Thanks,
 Ryan