g++ vs gcc

Can someone explain where the CXX variable gets set on a typical Linux / GCC development system?

For example, one of the 3rd party libraries I regularly build from cvs contains a makeinclude file that has these lines:
CC = gcc
CXX = gcc

The corresponding makeinclude.in file contains these lines:
CC = @CC@
CXX = @CXX@

Where does @CXX@ get defined?

The config.log file shows this:
CC='gcc'
CPP='gcc -E'
CXX='gcc'

Since the CXX variable is not set to g++ could it be that I don't have all the configuration details worked out yet from my recent switchover to GCC 3.2? Or is this something that needs sorting out in the 3rd-party libraries' configuration files?

Thanks very much,
Bill Trenker