LD_LIBRARY_PATH & LD_RUN_PATH

I am trying link to standard Oracle and C libraries by pointing to
/usr/home/oracle/precomp/lib. I am able to link and run my executable only
if I set -L/usr/home/oracle/precomp/lib and -R/usr/home/oracle/precomp/lib
in my makefile while linking using ld command.
If I remove -L and -R options, eventhough I have set
     export LD_LIBARY_PATH=.:/usr/home/oracle/precomp/lib
     export LD_RUN_PATH=.:/usr/home/oracle/precomp/lib
in my .profile, I am unable to link my executable to Oracle libraries. I
did check whether environment variables are set or not, using env command.
We are using Solaris 8 with GCC 3.2 compiler.

For some reason "ld" command is not looking at LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
LD_RUN_PATH settings. Is there a problem with my settings?

Brunda