Problem compiling GCC 3.2 on i686-pc-linux: "not enough room for program headers"

I'm trying to compile GCC 3.2, and configure seems to work, but then when I
make, I get this error:

checking whether the C compiler (...) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.

So I started looking around in the config.log files, and the first errors I
found were these, in i686-pc-linux-gnu/libstdc++-v3/config.log:

/usr/bin/ld: conftest: Not enough room for program headers (allocated 6,
need 7)
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value

I'm getting a lot of these "not enough room for program headers" errors. In
the list archives, I've seen a couple of people saying that running ld -N
works well, but I'm not sure how to set that up when I'm compiling GCC. Is
there some flag that I should use that'll do that for me?

Thanks in advance,

Francis