Why does this now work?

With gcc 3.2 (binary downloaded from sunfreeware, native ld and as), I
can now build programs against a 3rd party library which I am certain
was compiled in 1999 with SUN Workshop C++ 4.2 (which is the only
compiler the vendor will suppport in the use of their library). Previous
versions of gcc failed in various odd ways (it might have been me being
odd, but I never knew). The gcc executables are slightly smaller but
give results and times identical to executables built with Sun Workshop.
I am using an Ultrasparc 1 running Solaris 2.6.

I am mystified as to what I can get away with, given I was still
expecting some incompatibility in the process (name mangling at the
least). Can anyone point me to some wisdom on this matter?

Thanks
Graeme