RE: <optimized out>

Der Herr Hofrat wrote:

> then gcc with -O2 seems to directly push 3 on the stack and call
> printf and never used a local variable so I can't access it in the
> debuger. Is there any simply way of preventing this other than doing
> stupid things like introducing some useless statements to force a
> local variable but without turning of -O2 for the entire file ???

Not sure why you'd want to do this unless you've got problems with the
optimized code; you could always debug at -O0.

However, declaring the variable a 'volatile' ought to do what you want.
One of the '-f' switches might prevent this optimization globally if
you'd prefer but at first glance I can't see which one it might be.

Rup.