Re : gcj environment variables

Hi GNU Help,
I recently installed gcc3.1, and the gcc and g++ compilers work fine. However I'm having some trouble with the gcj compiler. I have downloaded the libiconv package, so hopefully I have all the necessary files. However it still doesn't work. I think I have the right path in The PATH variable, and I was wondering if the problem is to do with putting the correct path in the CLASSPATH variable. Does anyone know the correct set of variable values for the .profile, for the above variable or any other variable, to make gcj work?
Regards
Oscar Grigolo.