i18n , wide character issue with gcc/g++

 I have a problem with compiling with wide-characters
on linux.
 using linux redhat7.2, with gcc, g++ library version
2.96.

 problem 1: I find that the wstring support in STL is
commented out.
                 So i uncommented it and could use
wstring.
                 but there r issues with it, for e.g
i'm unable to use wstring::c_str() function, the
function returns "" instaed of empty sting. But for
wide char it needs to return L"".

 problem 2: Even if i include <stdio.h> and <wchar.h>
i'm not able to compile program with wide-character
functions like swprintf, wprintf etc.
                 The compiler complains saying
undeclared identifier.
	     SO I do my own declaration of swprintf and
wprintf, and then call them in main func [trial prog].
 problem 3: With "gcc" the program compiles, links and
runs succesfully.
                 But with "g++" the program compiles,
links --- BUT on running gives a "Segmentation Fault".

                 Why is wstring commented out and how
can we remedy that ?
                 Why does the compiler complain
regarding swprintf, wprintf etc even after including
wchar.h ?
                 Why does the g++ built program crash,
when the gcc program runs fine [after declaring my own
swprintf etc] ?
                 HOW do we use wide string on LINUX?

 Some solutions for the above problem  would be just
great as i'm not aware how to turn on the wchar
support for g++ on linux.
 Any hints on how to proceed would be welcome.
regards
Aroon