code coverage and profiling with gcc

I have been trying to get a rather large project to work with the
-fprofile-arcs and -ftest-coverage flags.  This project produces 2
binaries, the problem I am having is that only one of these files is
producing ".da" files.  Both a compile with -g and a few -W and -I flags
and nothing else.

When I run strings on the binary that does not produce ".da" files I
find references to the .da files, so I am sure the flags are gettin
passed during compilation.

I am not able to recompile with a newer version of gcc (see the version
info below) since there are syntax errors reported in newer versions and
this code is not mine to do with as I please.

I am not sure how to go about debugging this either, I have tried
removing the directory structure that the ".da" files should be written
into, which usually causes an error message to be shown, this does not
occur on the problematic binary.

What I am wondering is are there any know cases where the code coverage
will not execute as expected?  How should I go about debugging this (I
have tried gdb and was unable to step into any useful functions)?

report of version from "gcc -v" || "g++ -v"

Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/egcs-2.91.66/specs
gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

--Kevin Kress

--
Kevin Kress (Software Engineer)
COM DEV Broadband

GnuPG/PGP Key ID: 8A811ECC
Fingerprint     : D244 8D76 327D F7B8 DAE6  FF72 30F0 694B 8A81 1ECC

See Keyserver: http://www.keyserver.net/en/findkey.html
(search for "Kevin Kress" or "0x8A811ECC")