Re: Cross compiler won't build

Hi Brett

Here's another piece of information which may be interesting:

I attempted to build another target - this time ARM-ELF. So I created a new
target directory and set up the environment varibles again for this and
started by rebuilding the binutils. Suprisingly the build failed this time
with an error trying to compile (binutils-2.12/opcodes/disassemble.c). The
position in the code which failes is:
#ifdef ARCH_mcore
  case bfd_arch_mcore;
    disassemble = print_insn_mcore;
    break;
#endif
The problem being "undefined reference to ' print_insn_mcore ' ". I haven't
been able to figure out why this error occurs - print_insn_mcore is defined
in a header file (dis_asm.h). I wonder whether there is something left over
somewhere from the previous Mcode build which is disturbing ? Is in
necessary to clear out previous builds (for example by reinstalling cygwin)
when changing targets ?

At the moment it seems like taking one step forward and one step back. How
is your experience - have you managed a build (have just read that you have
- congratulations !) ? Personally I have been working on it for about a
month now in my spare time, which is about one or two hours a day and
possibly up to 10 hours at the weekend. I thought I was getting close today
and took the day free to finally start to use the compiler. The hopes seem
to have been shattered once again - I suppose there must be a reason why
it's so difficult - I have had to learn a lot of new stuff to get this far
but wonder just how much more is needed... Do you know whether some people
give up ?

Cheers

Mark

PS. In answer to your points in your recent mail. I did nollow the
intructions with utmost accuracy, using exactly the same directory
structure and am certain that the binutils were build for cross compiling.
The assembler files were assembled fine and so the assembler must have
understood the Mcore assembler code.
I expect that you are correct when you say that the wrong ld was used,
however I am not sure that it is a path problem (although will repeat the
exercise on a fresh PC at the weekend. After the above attempty I don't
trust anything any more) because I have noticed the following behaviour:
After building there are a number of executables - for example
usr/local/mcore/bin/mcore-elf-gcc.exe which are about 1,5Meg in size. After
the install these seem to be modified and take up only about 250k
aftwareward, in their working form.
I have the file mcore-elf-ld.exe here but have the feeling that it should
be smaller than the present 1,5Meg, probably as a consequence of the build
error I had, causing it not to be installed correctly ??
Next time around I will start with a fresh hard disk, reinstall everything
from scratch, remove any other utilities which may get in the way and
double check all paths at each stage.