Re: gcc 3 on solaris dependency problem with libgcc_s.so.1

> Given what you say, I don't think this has anything to do with the gcc
> version.  I often find myself in the same position of avoiding use of
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etcetera.
>
> Here's a few tips:
>
> (1) Depending on your platform, and whether you're using the native ld or
>   GNU ld, you might have to use  -rpath  instead of  -R .  (I'm not sure
>   GNU ld always understands -R , if that's what you're using.)

Just installed gcc 3.1 Solaris pkg. It uses Solaris ld.

> (2) I think you mean  -R /usr/local/lib  instead of  -R /usr/local/bin .

Tried this configure:
setenv LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib"; ./configure
--with-libraries=/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/ssl/lib:/usr/local/lib/sasl
--enable-syslog

Had to remove the --with-includes as it generated errors saying the path was
already set once.

Same results -- still can't find libgcc

> (3) If the build of postgres uses gcc or g++ to link, instead of ld (which
>   is likely), you should use  -Wl,-R /usr/local/lib .  That is, prepend
>   a  -Wl,  before the  -R , for a command to pass to  ld .  Note that
>   the  l  is ell not numeric one.
>
> (4) I am not sure how to pass overrides to configure.  Perhaps setting
>   LDFLAGS in the environtment, as you do, does the trick.  But check
>   the makefiles that are produced.  Also, check that your build actually
>   links using these additions.

Can you give me some guidance; I'm not very familiar with make and ld.
Though, ironically, one of the first things I did on computers was learn C
using gcc on an Atari ST.

--
Randy Perry
sysTame